I watched the 2 episodes of CNN Philippines’ The Filipino Votes: Senatorial Forum. I wanted to hear what the other candidates have to say about current issues.
Unfortunately, some of the popular candidates didn’t show up on the 2 episodes of The Filipino Votes. I would definitely not vote for those who are afraid for this type of forum, namely:
Freddie Aguilar (not voting for this guy) – relying on the President’s endorsement
Edgardo Sonny Angara – under consideration due to his good track record
Nancy Binay (not voting for this lady) -- MIA
Ramon Bong Revilla Jr (not voting for this guy) – relying on political ads
Pia Cayetano (not voting for this lady) – MIA [Edit: relying on political ads]
Bong Go (not voting for this guy) -- relying on political ads
Cynthia Villar (not voting for this lady) -- relying on political ads
The other candidates that I already decided to vote when I heard them on GMA’s Debate 2019 are:
- Raffy Alunan
- Neri Colmenares
- Samira Gutoc
- Erin Tanada
- Gary Alejano
- Chel Diokno
- JV Ejercito
- Romy Macalintal
- Ernesto Arellano
During the 2 episodes of CNN Philippines’ Senatorial Forum, I have heard from the other candidates and here’s why I’m voting for them:
- Benigno Bam Aquino – authored Go Negosyo among others. Voted NO to the Train Law and opposes the implementation of the Excise Tax in January 2019 and January 2020. He wanted to regulate the entry of Chinese workers in the country and wanted transparency in the country’s dealings with China.
I will vote for him because of his numerous authored bills that became laws as well as his desire for newly grads to have immediate jobs, lesser job mismatch, and his focus on the improvement of the education system in the country.
- Florin Hilbay – was a former Solicitor General. He’s a UP teacher and supports the RH Law, Coco Levy Fund, and is a member of the team behind the country’s success in the arbitration case vs China.
I will vote for him because he wants the 4Ps to be enacted as his first legislation: Pilo Para sa Pamilyang Pilipino as he refers to it. He also wanted to expand the 4Ps to include newly grads and jobless Pinoys. He promises to be a statesman who will not demean the status of the underprivilege in the country.
- Mar Roxas – was a former DILG Secretary. He’s the author of the Cheaper Medicine Law and removed the taxes for minimum wage earners. He’s among the personalities behind the success of the BPO industry and supports the current Juvenile Justice Law.
I will vote for him because he’s a believer in the rehabilitation of drug suspects and that the government should go after the importer of drugs. He also appeals on the removal of tax in oil products in the TRAIN Law, and opposes the Department of Finance’s suggestion to remove the incentives of the BPO Industry. He also wants the Internet in the country to be faster and better.
I WILL NOT VOTE FOR:
- Juan Ponce Enrile – opposes the Anti-Political Dynasty Bill saying it’s impractical to implement this provision in the Constitution. He’s Pro-China and said YES to a joint oil exploration with China.
He mentioned that he will review bills on taxes, will author bill on communications and ease of acquiring housing papers, increase foreign investments and improve the slow process of government transactions. These are bills that he could have authored in his days as senator.
- Serge Osmena – has authored 166 laws and had 3 terms as senator in the span of 18 years. He’s the author of the Solo Parents Act, an economist but also said YES to a joint oil exploration with China. He has no exact plans yet on how to end ENDO.
Thank you GMA 7 and CNN Philippines in helping me to draft my magic 12 for the upcoming senatorial elections.